Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"HOPE OVER FEAR"

I just listened to the inaugural speech given by our 44th president, Barack Obama. At the same time I was listening to him, I was writing to my unborn daughter. I like that President Obama didn't focus on government fixes or solutions that he himself is promising. Rather, he focused on OUR efforts, OUR hard work that WE as Americans need to do. We have an obligation to those who came before us, and those who will come after us, to do the hard work. It requires inventiveness, dedication, and sacrifice. For so long, my generation & the one after mine especially, has had a sense of entitlement. We have had our hands out, just waiting. I know I have. Now is the time to, as Ghandi said, "be the change you want to see in the world."

President Obama is not my savior. He is not my idol. But he is a hero of sorts. He is a hero as much as any of my fellow Americans are heroes in that he gives us hope. In the same manner, we give each other hope. I am tired of being negative about the economy. I am tired of the doomsdayers and the nay-sayers! As President Obama said today, it is time we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America.

The Bible says perfect love casts out fear. As we focus on the needs of the country, we are called to pray for our leaders. I hope you will pray not only for our new president, but for your fellow humans. Together, we can.